f you are one of those free birds who have that undying itch to explore the world and travel, you are what we call, the “wanderer”. Never staying put at one place for too long, you are constantly on the go, whether for work or leisure. And the way you dress when you travel reflects that you are a pro at it – practical, all weather clothes, smart layering, clever separates that can be dressed up or down depending on the place, and some great quality luggage.
Whether you are a hitchhiker or a frequent flier, your dressing is all about comfort with style.
Some celebs travel as true fashionistas, with sky high stilettos and impeccable make up, while some go the sloppy velour sweatsuit route. But there are some who follow the middle ground with well put together, practical yet chic travel looks. Biker Gul Panag travels all prepared in her leather jacket and boots as does Shahid Kapoor– with cargo pants, layered shirts and the much needed headphones. Anushka Sharma’s checklist includes sling bag, flats and a light jacket – must haves for every smart traveller.
While films like Jab We Met and more recently, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani showed us some easy yet stylish travel looks, in reality, you need to travel light and pack just the essentials. So stock up on neutral, earthy colours that are easy to match and don’t show dirt easily, adding colour with scarves and shawls that also double up as bandanas (or even hooded jackets) to save your hair from the elements. A sturdy leather jacket that protects from the wind and rain is usually found in the frequent traveller’s closet, along with a pair of really comfortable hiking shoes. Cargos with perhaps a waist pouch is also great – basically the more the pockets, the merrier!
Along with all these essentials, souvenirs picked up at places visited add their unique touch to every wanderer – the colourful scarf from a flea market or the braided bracelet from the seller by the beach – they make the traveller’s look complete.
A suitably dressed traveller is one who realises that comfort and convenience comes first yet doesn’t throw style out of the flight cabin window!
You are a wanderer if:
- You always have a travel kit packed and ready to go. You inspired the phrase ‘living out of a suitcase’
- You are an expert in the art of layering and can deal with any weather with the contents of one suitcase.
- Your bookshelf is stacked not with bestsellers, but with Lonely Planet guides and your home is a showcase of an eclectic mix of souvenirs.
- You swear by sunscreen and mosquito repellant, but probably also have a permanent tan.
- You know at least ten different ways of tying a scarf, whether as an accessory or a headgear or on a bag.